Sunday, October 11, 2015

Casa, Clase, Cocina



       A general update. There have been a lot of changes in my house recently. Some changes needed to be made with the houses for the girls to better accommodate Maribel, so Candace and I had to give the other girl’s house two girls and in return they gave us three different girls. It has been about two weeks now with the different girls, but everything is going well! They are adjusting well and I am continuing to grow closer with all of them each day. I started giving all my girls an individual hug when I put them to bed consistently for the past two weeks, and they also ask for a kiss. I’m not big on kisses because my family doesn’t do that much, so I was like nahh, just a hug. My roommate Candace on the other hand is really comfortable with physical affection like kisses on the cheek, so I give them all hugs and then she gives them all a kiss. Last week one night I was really tired and was just going to let Candace put them to bed herself, and right as I was about to get into my bed I hear the girls yell from their room, “Mami Courtney!! Abrazo!!” Aw, they really wanted their hug! I smiled and went over and gave everyone their goodnight hug. I’m glad that I live with these girls. Last week on Wednesday night/Thursday morning it was raining really hard, so we cancelled class because most of the classrooms were flooded. I really enjoyed that day! I hung out with my girls in the house for most of the morning and decided that I wanted to teach them how to play cards. It was a little difficult explaining a game to them in Spanish, but I was able to teach them a game I learned called Slap the Royals. It’s a simple card game, but can be lots of fun! One of my girls that I’m getting really close with, Joca, really enjoyed playing with me and in fact almost beat me. The other girls ended up leaving when they got out, but Joca and I played for about two hours together that morning! Joca has asked me if we could play a couple more times this week, and in fact even creamed me one night. I’m glad Joca and I are able to enjoy that together.
[When Joca fell asleep in the living room and I had to carry her to her bed]
                My class is going relatively well. Candace teaches the 3rd and 4th grade language and in late August she told me that one of her students, Fermin, didn’t really know the alphabet. I told her that one of my students, Rodrigo, does know the alphabet and can actually read a little bit. We decided to switch Rodrigo and Fermin for language, so every day after we give the kids a little twenty minute recess I have Fermin for the rest of class and she has Rodrigo. This works much better than whatever we were doing at the beginning because Fermin and Henry are basically at the same knowledge level when it comes to the alphabet and language things. We have worked on the alphabet a lot and they can almost say the whole thing, but they get mixed up when it comes to l, ll, m, n, ñ. I’m not exactly sure how to help them figure out how to remember these similar sounding letters, but we will get there eventually. As far as math goes, Rodrigo can add, subtract, and now multiply, and divide! I am very proud of him. Henry can finally add 1 to everything. For example, he finally knows that 5 + 1 = 6. I have been trying to teach him this for the past 8 weeks, so it is very exciting that he finally understands. Now we just need to work on adding 2 to everything. Maribel can count to 10 as long as I am counting with her. She has a problem with skipping the number 3 when she counts by herself, but recently she has been getting a lot better about knowing that 3 comes between 2 and 4. When she sees 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 objects on a piece of paper or something, she can say how many objects there are. Though teaching these four kids has been a struggle, I am very happy with their progress and love them all very much.
[Finding our names with the letters]
                Every week we have two staff members run the kitchen with a different group of kids. This was stressful for me because I really don’t know much about cooking. The first time I was in the kitchen the other staff member with me was our director, Miguel. Miguel knows how to cook really well, so when I was with him it was more like I was just one of the students helping out rather than actually running things with him. This past week I was in the kitchen again, but this time it was with one of the other student missionaries, Kevin. Kevin has a decent amount of experience cooking, but I was still really worried about everything. Worried about whether we would have all the meals ready on time, about if we would use our ingredients competently so we wouldn’t run out of something we may need later on in the week, and about if we would be efficient with our time so we would not be in the kitchen 24/7. Everyone kept telling me not to freak out and that it would be fine, and Miguel always says that the kids know how to make everything, so there shouldn’t be much to worry about. Well, I survived the week! Kevin and I had a good group of kids who did know how to make most everything and Kevin’s cooking skills really did come in handy. Almost all of our meals were on time and we were not in the kitchen 24/7. In fact, I learned a lot this week! I felt more like Kevin’s partner running the kitchen rather than like one of the kids. At Familia Feliz we make everything from scratch, and we are also vegan so we don’t use cheese or eggs. This week I learned a ton of new things about cooking and learned recipes for different things. One of the things I learned how to make is vegan cheese with carrots, garlic, oil, water, and salt and it actually tastes good when you eat it with pasta noodles, like Mac N’ Cheese! I am extremely grateful for all of the experience I am getting here with different things. Learning how to cook, learning Spanish, learning how to be a mom, learning how to be a teacher, and even learning how to machete! I am so glad that God lead me here to Bolivia.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're able to enjoy some foods. I bet you'll hate your food here once you come home. Don't transition too far from your norm. Hugs

    ReplyDelete